Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Modelling Character

Here is the design process I took when modelling my 3D character, whom I am now tempted to name Ursus (The Latin name for bear.). I began by creating a 6 sided cylinder, to create a very basic torso for Ursus.



Once I had this, I was able to use the vert selection tool to pull out each of the verts to give the torso a better shape.



This made be the basis of the model so that I could easily extrude limbs out from the sides and bottom.



With a turbo smooth modifier, I already had a basic, but quite appealing shape for my bear character.


Using the connect tool, I made 2 edges along the legs, and extruded out the resulting polygon to make feet for Ursus. Here is what it looks like with turbo smooth.



Creating a cone with 4 sides gave me a very basic claw for Ursuses feet.



By using the soft selection tool, I rotated the top verts on the claw to make them curved. I then duplicated them and attached them to his feet. I also made a basic head out of a cube, and extruded out a simple snout.




Capping a box onto the end of Ursuses arm allowed me to make a hand. The fingers where created by using the connect tool to create the edges in which the fingers would be extruded out from.



Here is the hand with turbo smooth. This is the part of the model I dislike most at the moment, and will probably improve upon as I progress with character refining.



Next, I went about finishing the basic head I had created. Using the inset tool, I made two rectangles on the top of the head, these where extruded outwards and then had gaps inset into the front to form the bears ear. A low brow was extruded out of the front of the box to give the head more depth. An extra ring of edges was connected onto the snout as to give it a better shape.



Here is the outcome with turbo smooth, that I think works extremely well.



Lastly I placed two small spheres to form little eyes for Ursus, and made a small cylinder with a bevel on the front to make a button nose.



And there you have it, Ursus in his initial state, although I am sure I will make revisions to him so that he is the most flexible and emotional bear he can be.


No comments:

Post a Comment